Sunday, September 26, 2010

Spring Cleaning

Every year or two when we were kids, my mom would bring home a pile of boxes and announce that it was time to move. We called this "Spring cleaning."Spring cleaning was like a holiday for us. It always followed the same pattern. We'd start Spring cleaning day with a fresh box of hot donuts.  My grandparents would come down for the day and help us pack and load the U-Haul. In the afternoon, my mom would pick up In-and-Out burgers, fries and shakes.

By night, we'd be in the new apartment with the smell of fresh paint, clean carpets and french fries. It would take weeks before the trash started piling up, the cats urine soaked the carpets and the cockroaches multiplied.

1 comment:

  1. It's sad what some of had to go thru as kids.
    I was taken to Europe at 6 months & by the time I was 13 we'd moved 11 times - 3 different countries & several states!
    SO - I've lived in this same bldg for 40 yrs! even after my fire in '92, I came back to it.

    ReplyDelete